The Information Engineering Lab
The ielab is a collaborative group of researchers working in the area of information engineering. Much of this research is specifically on the areas of information retrieval, i.e. search engine technology and information seeking, data science, and health informatics.
A full list of projects is available at the projects page, including associated resources (software, data).
To access a list of our publications, please visit the publications page; this often includes a pre-print version of each publication.
For advertised student projects (including PhD, masters, and undergraduate) please visit the student projects page.
ARC DP21 success: AI-driven Effective Query Formulation for Better Systematic Reviews13 October 2020
Our ARC Discovery Project 2021 “AI-driven Effective Query Formulation for Better Systematic Reviews.” has been accepted for funding. This project extend the initial work we have done on assisted and automatic boolean query formulation techniques for buidling systematic reviews. You can read more about our work in this area in the Systematic Review Literature Search project page. See more details about this grant here.
PostDoc Position Available in Digital Health15 July 2020
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Fellow that will contribute to innovative research developments within the scope of digital health. The project aims to devise new method for the effective and efficient information extraction from electronic medical records. The position is part of a newly BDHP/MRFF funded research project that involves researchers at the University of Queensland, Metro North HHS and Metro South HHS (Queensland Health). The postdoc will be part of the ielab team (http://ielab.io), in the School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
PostDoc Position Available in Conversational Search01 July 2020
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Fellow that will contribute to innovative research developments within the scope of conversational search. The project the postdoc will be assigned to aims to identify how conversational agents might help answer grain growers and farmers’ questions and make better farming decisions. The position is part of the newly funded research project AgAsk that involves researchers at the University of Queensland, the CSIRO, and the Queensland Government Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.
News archive →
ielab’s core group includes Information Retrieval researchers at the University of Queensland (UQ) in Brisbane, Australia. However, the group has expanded to include researchers from the CSIRO, University of Strathclyde, Qatar Computing Research Institute and more.
Doctoral Students (PhD)
- [completed 2017] Liam Cripwell. Honours student, QUT: Generating Clinical Queries from Patient Narratives
- [completed 2016] Harrisen Scells. Honours student, QUT: Investigating Methods Of Annotating Lifelogs For Use In Search
- Doyoo Baek: A predictive analysis of heavy machinery deterioration (Industrial CEED collaboration with Hastings Deering Pty Ltd)
- Xiaoran Chu: OMG! The Amazing Result of Using Machine Learning to Build Classifiers for Clickbait Detection
- Linni Qin: Forecating Zestimate Error
- Zhiying Zhou: Educational Data Mining: Analyze and Predict student’s academic performance
- Harmandeep Kaur Bhullar: Data Analysis of an European Soccer Database
- Harshita Jain: An Analysis of Spam SMS Features
- Davinder Kaur: Symptoms of Lower Back Pain - A Data Analysis and Research Project