The Information Engineering Lab
The ielab is a collaborative group of researchers working in the area of information engineering. Much of this research is specifically on the areas of information retrieval, i.e. search, and health informatics.
ielab works on a diversity of projects. Research strenghts include:
- Formal models of Information Retrieval: retrieval models, learning to rank, user models, evaluation of information retrieval systems.
- Health Search: models, systems, evaluation for tasks in consumer health search, clinical decision support, precision medicine, search for systematic review compilation, cohort selection for clinical trials.
- Domain-specific search: case law retrieval.
The current projects that ielab is working on including links to code repositories, live demos, and publications can be found on the projects page.
For advertised student projects (including PhD, masters, and undergraduate) please visit the student projects page.
To view a list of the group publications, please visit the publications page.
ielab was started as a group of Information Retrieval researchers at the Queensland Univeristy of Technology (QUT) in Brisbane, Australia. However, the group has expanded to include researchers from CSIRO, University of Strathclyde, Vienna University of Technology, Qatar Computing Research Institute and more. From October 1, 2018, the core of the ielab research group will be hosted at the University of Queensland (UQ), among the world’s top-50 universities.
Doctoral Students (PhD)
- Anton van de Vegt. PhD student, QUT & CSIRO: Bridging the Human-Task Cognitive Gap. A Theoretical Framework Applied to Medical Search. Google Scholar
- Harrisen Scells. PhD student, QUT & CSIRO: Improving Systematic Review Creation with Information Retrieval
- Jimmy. PhD student, QUT & UBAYA: Search Engines that allow the General Public to Make Well-Informed Health Decisions
- Daniel Locke. PhD student, QUT: Exploring methods for improving the effective information retrieval of legal documents
- Joao Palotti. PhD student, Vienna University of Technology & Researcher, Qatar Computing Research Institute
- [completed 2017] Liam Cripwell. Honours student, QUT: Generating Clinical Queries from Patient Narratives
- [completed 2016] Harrisen Scells. Honours student, QUT: Investigating Methods Of Annotating Lifelogs For Use In Search
- Doyoo Baek: A predictive analysis of heavy machinery deterioration (Industrial CEED collaboration with Hastings Deering Pty Ltd)
- Xiaoran Chu: OMG! The Amazing Result of Using Machine Learning to Build Classifiers for Clickbait Detection
- Linni Qin: Forecating Zestimate Error
- Zhiying Zhou: Educational Data Mining: Analyze and Predict student’s academic performance
- Harmandeep Kaur Bhullar: Data Analysis of an European Soccer Database
- Harshita Jain: An Analysis of Spam SMS Features
- Davinder Kaur: Symptoms of Lower Back Pain - A Data Analysis and Research Project